U.S. Supreme Court Will Hear Ten Oral Arguments During May, from Cases that Had Originally Been Set for March and April

On April 13, the U.S. Supreme Court put out this announcement.  It will hear ten particular cases from the group of cases that had been set for March and April, but which had been indefinitely postponed.  Ordinarily the Court does not hear cases in May.  It uses May to write opinions from cases that had been argued earlier.

Among the ten privileged cases are the two cases on presidential electors, and also the case on President Trump’s tax returns.  But the Court did not choose Carney v Adams to be heard in May.  Carney v Adams is the Delaware case over whether the state can ban independent and minor party members from being considered for a judicial position.

The Court did not say what it will do about scheduling Carney v Adams and the other cases that had been postponed, and which are not among the special ten cases.

The dates in May for the ten special cases are May 4,5,6,11,12, and 13.  They will be held remotely; the justices will not be in the same room with the attorneys or with each other.

Mark Cuban Again Says it is Possible He Will Run for President as an Independent

On April 12, Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team, was interviewed by Chris Wallace.  At the very end of the interview Wallace referred to an earlier statement by Cuban that he might possibly run for president as an independent.  Wallace said “the deadline has already passed in some states” and said, “You’re aren’t serious, are you?”

Cuban said “You just never know.  I’m not gonna say ‘no’.  I’m leaving the door open.”  Here is a link to the interview.  The part about running for president is at the very end.

Wallace is mistaken.  Every state has some means for someone running for president outside the major parties to get on the ballot, in the period May through September.  Furthermore, the U.S. Supreme Court said in Anderson v Celebrezze in 1983 that it violates the First Amendment for any state to have an early deadline for a candidate to file for the general election as a presidential candidate.  John B. Anderson in 1980 didn’t declare as an independent until April 24, but he got on the ballot in every jurisdiction.

In 1924, Robert La Follette didn’t declare as an independent until July 4, and he got on the ballot in every state except Louisiana, and the Louisiana problem had nothing to do with an early deadline.  Thanks to Ken Bush for the link.

Common Sense Party Says it has 20,415 Registered Members

The Common Sense Party is trying to qualify in California.  Its website says it has 20,415 registered members, as of April 11.  Back on February 18, the Secretary of State’s Report of Registration showed the party had 10,859 registered members, so it appears the party is actively working to increase its registration.

If its registration rises to .33% of the state total (not counting “unknown party” registrants) by July 6, 2020, it will be able to place a presidential nominee on the November 2020 ballot.

No one can know exactly how many registrations will be needed by July 6, because the base for the percentage is the number of registered voters (not counting unknown voters) as of that date, which of course, is in the future.  Generally it is not good policy for a ballot access requirement to be based on a future piece of data, because this means the group can’t know what the requirement is, until it is too late to meet it.  But of course the group can estimate.  It is estimating 67,000 or so.

California residents can register on-line, or can change their registration from one party to another on-line, so that makes it possible for the party to be increasing its registration even in the health crisis.  No new party has qualified in California via a registration drive since 1995, when the Natural Law Party and the Reform Party qualified.  Both of them have since lost their qualified status.

Connecticut Secretary of State Hopes All Presidential Primary Candidates Will Withdraw, so June 2 Primary Can be Cancelled

According to this story, Connecticut won’t hold a presidential primary if all the candidates withdraw.  However, so far, Bernie Sanders seems to want to remain on the ballot for that primary.  Also, so far, Elizabeth Warren and Tulsi Gabbard haven’t withdrawn from the Democratic primary either.

Also, Rocky De La Fuente hasn’t withdrawn from the Republican primary.

The non-presidential primary in Connecticut is August 11.