This Sacramento Bee story says as of November 13, California still has 4,300,000 uncounted ballots.
Last week Alaska voters re-elected independent Dan Ortiz to the State House from the 36th district in Ketchikan. He had first been elected as an independent in 2014.
Also last week, independent candidate Jason Grenn was elected to the State House from the 22nd district in Anchorage.
In the 32nd State House district on Kodiak Island, independent Duncan Fields lost by only 98 votes.
The Constitution Party has a strong showing in the 9th district, with Pamela Goode polling 36.72% in a two-person race. She had run for the same seat in 2014 and had polled 26.93%. Here is a link to the unofficial Alaska election returns for 2016.
Politico has published the names of all members of the 2016 electoral map. See that here. The story does not give any contact information for them.
On November 8, nine Progressive Party member-nominees were elected to the Vermont legislature, the most ever. In the State Senate, Anthony Pollina was re-elected from Washington County. Christopher Pearson, who had been a Progressive member of the House from Burlington, was elected to the State Senate seat, replacing Progressive Senator David Zuckerman, who was elected this week to be Lieutenant Governor.
The Progressives elected seven member-nominees to the House. Re-elected were Diane Gonzalez, Robin Chesnut-Tangerman, Mollie Burke, and Sandy Haas. The party also elected Cindy Weed, who had been elected as a Progressive in 2012 but had been defeated for re-election in 2014. Also, in 2016, the party elected new legislators Celene Colburn and Brian Cina.
The only Progresive incumbent who was defeated for re-election is Susan Davis. She only lost by eight votes, and may seek a recount.
In 2014, the Progressive Party had elected eight member-nominees. In 2012, it had elected seven.
This post does not include persons who were Democratic member-nominees who also had the nomination of the Progressive Party. Vermont allows fusion. Most of the Progressive member-nominees who won this week were also nominated by the Democratic Party.
On November 9, Rocky De La Fuente won a procedural point from a U.S. District Court in South Carolina, in his presidential primary ballot access lawsuit. Judge Cameron McGowan Currie, a Clinton appointee, in a two-page order, denied the request of the South Carolina Democratic Party to have the lawsuit dismissed. Now, further proceedings will be required.
The South Carolina Democratic Party had refused to list De La Fuente on its February 27, 2016 presidential primary. The refusal letter from the party, dated December 29, 2015, merely said, “The party’s executive council met on Monday, December 7, 2015, to consider all of the Democratic presidential primary campaign filings. The purpose of this letter is to inform you that the Council did not approve your filing. Enclosed you will find your check for the filing fee.”
De La Fuente sued the Democratic Party, but he didn’t file the lawsuit until February 2, 2016. He asked for an injunction, putting him on the ballot, but that was denied on February 25. The reason for the denial was (1) De La Fuente filed the lawsuit too late; (2) he wasn’t likely to win in any event, because the South Carolina Democratic Party rules were not completely arbitrary; they said only candidates who are discussed in the news media should be put on the primary ballot. The judge said similar rules had been upheld in other states in the 1980’s. But, the case was still alive.
This case may be important if it causes states to re-think their laws that say presidential primary ballot access should be automatically granted to candidates discussed in the news media. Although such laws were mostly upheld in 1980 and 1984, “media” has changed substantially since then. De La Fuente has been arguing in this case that such laws fail to specify which type of news media matter, leaving a candidate without a way to know whether he or she will be chosen.